Koh Samui, Thailand is not a big island – it’s just under 230 square kilometres, and much of that is still pristine forest-covered hillside – but it offers a wealth of fun and interesting things to do with kids.
Our list of child-friendly activities in Koh Samui begins with five easy excursions for the whole group. If a relaxed family holiday is what you want, you got it. If you’re up for anything, and looking for the best attractions and accommodation, keep reading ’til the end.
1. Kids will love the Dusit Deva Cultural Centre, a slightly eccentric garden filled with creatures from Buddhist and Hindu myths.
3. Take a trip to the petting zoo at Paradise Park Farm Samui in Lipa Noi, where you’ll also encounter exotic birds and other wildlife.
(IMAGE FROM FACEBOOK)
4. Visit nearby Nathon Walking Street Night Market on Thursdays or the bigger Fisherman’s Village Night Market in Bophut on Fridays.
5. Samui Football Golf is a unique physical activity and all ages can share in the fun.
It’s not a tropical holiday without some wet n’ wild fun for the whole family.
6. Samui has a number of spectacular waterfalls. We love the Na Muang Falls where there’s a an inviting pool. For younger children, Lin Had Waterfall is most child-friendly. Please note both are not recommended during the rain season Oct-Nov.
7. Go island hopping in Ang Thong National Marine Park, which encompasses a cluster of islands. The heavily jungled islands are carefully controlled to keep them in pristine natural condition. A trip to them is a must.
Older kids and athletic teens with energy to burn have an opportunity to experience some thrilling sports in Koh Samui.
9. Brave the Ninja Warrior obstacle course in Bophut.
10. Have an adventure atop Khao Pom mountain on ATVs or the zipline, or just gaze out at the scenery below from the viewpoint.
11. There’s a kite surfing school on the beach at Nathon where you can rent a rig or learn how to do it.
KOH SAMUI FAMILY VILLAS
Elite Havens offers a hand-picked selection of Koh Samui family-friendly villas. Each has a swimming pool and other exciting things guaranteed to keep children happily busy.
1. Beachfront Ban Suriya has two canoes and a stand-up paddle board. There’s also a big swing on the beach. Inside you’ll find table tennis, a billiards table and a giant chess set.
2. Tawantok Beach Villas are side-by-side five-bedroom villas with beachfront swimming pools on Lipa Noi Beach and a shared tennis court. Kids and parents enjoy use of a kayak and stand-up paddle board, a beach volleyball net and goals for beach football.
3. Also on Lipa Noi Beach, Villa Waimarie boasts its own tennis court, along with two sea kayaks and two stand-up paddle boards and all the gear for beach volleyball.
The villas are fully-staffed and babysitting can be arranged at an extra cost. Let your villa manager know what sort of activities you’re interested in and he or she will help guide your choices and can also arrange transport to take you there.